Permit of Stay
Within 8 days from arrival, all non-EU citizens who hold a study visa for Italy must apply for a stay permit for study purposes.
The stay permit is issued by the local police station (Questura - Ufficio Stranieri). According to the most recent regulation, applications have to be presented at authorized Post Offices.
Some offices (Patronati and City Halls) provide free help in filling in the stay permit application form.
When the form is ready you can present it at the Post Office using the available "kit".
The Post Officer will identify you; you will then have to pay € 27,50 (paid through postal money transfer - bollettino postale) for the electronic version of the document and € 30,00 for the service (to be paid directly to the Post officer).
The Post office will provide you with a receipt of the Stay permit application.
Afterwards you will be summoned by the local police station (Questura) by SMS and letter in order to have your fingerprints taken and to receive the electronic version of your stay permit
For detailed information about this procedure you may:
• visit the Portale Immigrazione web site; you will find general information on the procedure, the addresses of City Halls and Patronati that can assist you in filling in the stay permit application form, the addresses of Post offices authorized to accept the above form, and information on the status of your request by entering a reserved area (username and password are included in the receipt);
• call the toll free number 800.309.309 for general information on the procedure and the addresses of City Halls and Patronati;
• call the toll free number 803.160 for the addresses of Post offices authorized to accept the above form.
However, the stay permit is issued against presentation of:
• proof of sufficient financial means to support yourself (go to Sustenance);
• a document giving evidence of your right to medical care in Italy (go to Health Insurance).