According to current legal provisions regulating immigration and living conditions of foreigners in Italy (Art. 26 of Law No. 189 of 31 July 2002), access to university/university-level programmes is granted to the following categories of non-EU citizens at the same conditions as applied to Italians:
• those who hold a residence permit;
• those who hold a residence permit issued for dependent or autonomous work / family reasons / political or humanitarian asylum / religious reasons;
• those who, having legally lived in Italy for at least one year, have been awarded an Italian upper secondary qualification;
• those who, independently of their place of residence, hold final diplomas awarded by Italian schools outside Italy;
• those who, independently of their place of residence, hold final diplomas awarded by foreign / international schools, operating in / outside Italy, which have been recognised for matriculation purposes through bilateral agreements or specific legal provisions.